Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One Little Word

In 2011, I felt rushed. The year passed in a blur of worrying about obligations. What is next? Sweep it away as soon as I can and move on to the next thing. I don't want to live 2012 in the same manner. I don't want the year or days or minutes to rush past. I want to experience them. Savor them. Even the difficult ones, I think. So, my word for 2012? PRESENT. 
I was going to choose LINGER, but I like PRESENT better. It is both fully attentive to the moment, but also a gift. That's how I want to live 2012: Here. Present. Living this moment and not the next one or the past one. I know past and future are with me, but I want to savor the gift of the time I have now. 




So, what does this photo have to do with that idea? I'm not sure, but it was a first attempt at just enjoying the moment. I was in Arizona with grandchildren over the holidays. One day, they were outside for a while. When I looked out at them, I saw that they had picked all the grapefruit but one and then piled them in a skirt around the tree. It was funny and visually appealing. I wondered why they had suddenly decided to pick the fruit and why the one grapefruit was left (so obvious!) unpicked. I wondered at their desire for symmetry and design. Mostly, I took the picture to remember the moment, to enjoy the contrast of bright yellow and deep green. And to think that maybe I was like the grapefruit on the tree, lingering a little longer.  

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I did a similar thing on my blog. I titled it Word of the Year. The concept has been floating around Twitter since mid-December.

    Here's the link in case you would like to add a little more to your reading pile ;)

    http://iheartpurplestuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/word-of-year-broken.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts about the word, Present, & that you took the picture to remember. Beautiful thought & photo. I wonder why it's left, too?

    ReplyDelete