Thursday, March 7, 2013

Delicious Words

I had to drive my husband to the airport at 4 in the morning, so I drove back in the dark with not many cars on the road. I started thinking about words. (I know. Weird). I thought of the word "sinister." It would look like a skinny guy with a thin, dark mustache--one he twirls until it's oily.

"Malevolent" on the other hand is young and handsome. Smooth. His teeth are straight and he smiles with his mouth but not his eyes.

A few weeks ago, one of my night students wrote how some words feel good in our mouths. I agree. I like the feel of malevolent even if I don't like the image. I don't like the feel of cacophony--and I don't like lots of noise, either.

Then I remembered this video clip bulbous bouffant. It makes me laugh because it is about the same thing: liking the sounds of words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuCNAwXGaQ

So, do words have flavors?

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I love this post, and love the video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete