Monday, March 11, 2013

inkblots and other topics I didn't know you could write about

I just got a book by Margaret Peot titled Inkblot: Drip, Splat, and Squish Your Way to Creativity.


I have to admit, I first ordered it because I wanted to think more about creativity. Is it possible to develop creativity? I want to think that it is, but I am constantly brought back to reality by my own limitations in this area. If I want it so much and can't get it--is it possible that some people have it and some don't? The author, though, seems to assert that we can all be creative: "Creative people do not wait around for their muses to show up. They go to their drawing boards (or computers or laboratories) on a daily basis, whether or not they have an idea. When your body and mind get in a habit of being creative on a schedule, you are much less likely to be creatively blocked." Hmmm.

Two reactions to the book: First, I am fascinated by what Peot does with inkblots. The pages crawl with dragons and seahorses and gardens and other more-Rorschach looking images. I get the psychological ones that look like brains (and brains exploding), but I would never have imagined the other.

Second, she writes a whole book about inkblots, about making them and drawing into them, about how to look at them to see possibilities. And I guess that's what I really like is the way she encourages new visions of everyday things. I can't get away from the fact that the message of the book is so much what I try to get students to see about writing. The possibility. The need for regular work with it. The way it helps us enjoy life more. That's one reason I like the March SOL--it makes me write everyday. It makes me think about what there is in my life today that is worth writing about and sharing. And that, I think, is what makes us writers. The sitting down everyday and putting something down on paper/screen. That makes us creative in our own way. And, I think, it makes us live our lives just a little more fully than we would without some record, some push to think about the day, without some expectation that there is something in my life to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment