Thursday, March 21, 2013

hope

Wikipedia says this about hope.
Hope is the state which promotes the belief in an outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Despair is often regarded as the opposite of hope.[1] Hope is the "feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best" or the act of "look[ing] forward to something with desire and reasonable confidence" or "feel[ing] that something desired may happen".[2] Other definitions are "to cherish a desire with anticipation"; "to desire with expectation of obtainment"; or "to expect with confidence".[3] In the English language the word can be used as either a noun or a verb, although hope as a concept has a similar meaning in either use.[4]

I found this image for hope when I was searching the word.


And here is Dickenson's poem (the original thing I was searching for) about hope.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

For me, hope is the first hint of green on the willow branches along my street. Willows seem to show signs of spring first here, and last night, driving home, I saw that the bare branches had turned spring green (partly yellow, but still green). I literally felt my heart lift. Hope. To me, it is the first green hint of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment