Wednesday, March 30, 2011

losing community

I do a lot of reading about online communities: what creates them, how "real" they are, their dangers, and so on. I have not really participated actively in one until this month. And I'm thinking today about the online communities that have been created by the SOLS challenge.
I "slice" with my students, too, and I have noticed an effect from this activity. About half of the class participates--it isn't mandatory--and I see a difference in the way those of us who are participating interact in class. We KNOW things about each other--our fears, our challenges, the details of life that don't usually get shared in class. I feel closer to my students, and I think they feel closer to each other because of the online community we have built outside of class. It's what I always hope for in a writing class--and we've built it. Through writing, yes, but outside of class. Interesting.
In addition, I feel that I have some online "friends" who respond to my posts with some regularity and whose posts I respond to. I have found myself doing some things I never anticipated I would: replying to others' blogs and looking forward to the comments that follow mine, wondering what I wrote that might spark a response in others. I don't know these people in the sense that I would recognize them on the street or that I know what they do or where they live. I only know them because for a few moments in March, we had connections: our lives intersected and were enriched because of the words (ideas) we shared. How cool is that?! I never would have anticipated it. I joined because I needed to get back into the habit of daily writing. I got that. . . and so much more.
A few weeks ago, one of my students wrote that he thought he would miss this SOLS connection when it ended. I am feeling that way today. I am flying to Washington D. C. to try to talk to legislators about funding for National Writing Project. I don't know what my online access will be in the next two days. I hope I will be able to "slice." If not, I will miss it even sooner than I intended.

9 comments:

  1. Because of this experience, because of the reasons you've written, I hope I'll be able to talk some of the teachers at school into trying the blogging community with their students. I'm glad you wrote about what's happened in your student/class experience, that they have enjoyed what's happened as much as we have. I'll pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I didn't have my first graders share their work in the SOL, I did share my posts and some of the comments with my kids. They loved seeing that teachers write in their spare time. They liked seeing that teachers help each other with writing by making positive, yet constructive comments. I agree with you, this is a great community we have here and we are all better off by participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great slice--and I agree that it's one of the coolest experiences I've had in a while. Love the part near the end where you mention getting so much more than an opportunity to develop the habit of writing daily. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh DC. I miss that place, especially around this time of year. Try to make it down to the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms if you have a spare moment. You won't regret it! It's truly breathtaking.

    I'll say a little prayer for NWP. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why didn't you tell us you were taking a super cool, super important jaunt to our nation's capital to advocate the cause of education? You are full of surprises :)
    That was my favorite thing about slicing: finding out about the surprising, little things that make people who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. I'm going to miss slicing a lot. The creation of new communities is yet another wonder of technology - a far cry from the divisions we often lament technology creates, huh? I agree completely; thanks for encouraging us to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the line "for a few moments in March, we had connections: our lives intersected and were enriched because of the words (ideas) we shared" You summed up the challenge perfectly! I'm going to have to go back and read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your reflection. You summed up our community so well. This year, I really felt connected. I felt the power of comments, giving them not just receiving them. We have enriched each other. I hope that you will be able to continue on Tuesdays. MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words match my feelings. I can totally relate to feeling like the posts and comments of members of the TWT community impacted me, my students, and my colleagues directly even though we really don't "know" each other. It is very difficult to describe and you have done so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete