Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My celebration

Last night in my night class with teachers, we started by reading I'm in Charge of Celebrations by Byrd Baylor. Then we all wrote about our own personal celebrations. Some were funny. Some were moving. It reminded me how a good text can be a powerful prompt for our thinking--and writing. Here's mine:

My celebration would be Signs of Spring Day. Although I don't mind winter at its start, by the end of January I am ready to be done with it. I start watching for any signs of spring I can see--and sometimes I have to wait a LONG time. There are teasers, days that have that springy something: a quality of light, some warmth under the cool air. But that's not enough. I wait for buds to appear on branches and green pointy heads to peek out from damp earth. Then it's my Signs of Spring Day. I celebrate by noticing all the signs I can, to reassure myself that spring is really coming, and then I buy myself some yellow and red tulips--ahead of when they'll bloom in my year--so that the hope of spring blooms in my house before reality shows itself outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment