Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday-morning-for-Saturday post

I hate that feeling that you've forgotten to do something but you can't remember what it was. I woke up a little after 5:00 this morning (on a day when I finally could sleep in) with at least the memory of one thing I'd forgotten: to write my SOLS for Saturday--even though I'd intended it when I was on the computer in the afternoon. Here's what happened: my evening plans changed when my son-in-law asked if we could watch our grandchildren while he took our daughter to dinner. She'd had a long, hard week. How could we say no? So, we tended the three children and had a great time--but I forgot to write. So, two today. This one for yesterday.

Three images from tending the grand-kids:
1. When we asked Matthew, a kindergartner, how school was going, he announced he'd published several books. Grandpa said grandma had, too. "What's published?" asked Coley, Matthew's four-year-old sister. He said, "It's when you do all the stuff you're supposed to." Yep. That's it, all right.
2. Coley sitting on a stool at the counter, “helping” me prepare dinner. She had a stack of romaine leaves I had rinsed for a salad that she was tearing into a bowl. She tore up the whole stack, a surprise, but she chatted the WHOLE time, comments on this and that as she worked. When she finished, she announced, “My name should be changed to ‘Talker.’” Me: “Talker? Why?” Coley: “Because I talk more than anyone in my family.” 
3. I gave Anya, eighteen-months old, a blue M&M—something she’d asked for. A few minutes later, she walked up to ask for another M&M—and her face was covered with blue, as was her right hand. Completely covered with blue. There was no chocolate anywhere, just blue. I guess she licks off the outside before eating the inside. I didn’t know a person could do that: lick off the outside and spread so much of it and not get to any of the chocolate smeared along. Now, she’s just a little girl, but that’s was a lot of blue, so how thick is that outer covering??? Then a more disturbing thing: when I tried to wash her off, the blue was a stain! What is in those candies????

2 comments:

  1. What book have you published?

    Aren't kids fun -- I can totally see blue Anya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment when you little kids in the house.

    ReplyDelete