Tuesday, March 8, 2011

my face itches

I have been having some sort of allergic reaction on my face (and yesterday it progressed to my neck) for about 2 months. My skin tingles, then itches, and then a welt (or two!) appears that may or may not be gone several minutes later. I tried to ignore the situation, but it seems to be getting worse. I have switched moisturizers, gone without any (that was unpleasant in this dry climate), used soap and laundry detergent without dyes or perfumes--and still my face itches, and welts come and go. I tried to consider diet: no peanut butter for a week. No change. So I called the doctor's office to ask if medications could cause this. The nurse said I had to come in, the doctor said he has no idea--and probably the allergist won't either. Use baby shampoo and don't put anything on my face (lovely--my students are going to like that!!). Replace products one at a time. But, most likely (according to my doctor) we won't ever find out what's causing the itching. So, if no one can solve this problem (I will try his suggestions, though), I think I am going to write a children's book: My Face Itches could be a good title, don't you think? I've never written a children's book, but I have a situation, and situations are at the heart of story, right? At least I could make something worthwhile come out of an itchy situation.

5 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    As a fellow itchy person, I completely sympathize. Seven years ago I started getting hives. I have them everyday. Somedays they are worse than others, but nonetheless they are present. My situation is similar in that there appears no obvious solution. I work on diminishing stress, sugar and reducing my yeast and acidity. No permanent solutions yet. I am blessed that most days it does not impact my face.

    What is beautiful in this piece, for me, is your reaction - to write a book. I have often thought that my itchiness is here to teach me how to be a better person. I like the idea of sharing this story with others, not to compel pity, but to encourage compassion.
    Best of luck,
    Erin

    PS - Jojoba oil worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also sympathize. The same thing happened to me three years ago. There seems to be very little you can do. My students tell me when I have "claw" marks. So far, the only things that has help is time -- it is not as frequent as it used to be. I think you are on the right track with reacting with humor and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize too. My little sisters both have really sensitive skin. They inherited an allergic reaction to nickle from my mom (so no costume jewelry for them growing up). Later my baby sister had a persistent rash for some time and we eventually found out it was because of the detergent that we were trying out! It is so funny how delicate human beings really are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sympathize! My skin--especially my face and neck--reacts to everything: milk, butter, chocolate, nuts, make-up, lotion, animal fat, animal hair, even my own hair! Along with everyone else, I love that you thought of turning this experience into a picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Debbie, the first glance I had at your blog title I thought to myself, "Sounds like a book title". No joke. I think you're on to something there. I dabbled at writing a children's story just this past fall because I had a situation and thought it would be interesting as a story for children to relate to. Never did anything with it (mostly because I don't know WHAT to do with it), but I still have some tweaking and revising left to make it 'just right'. I say go for it! With the humor I can 'hear' in your blog post, I can only imagine how entertaining your rendition of My Face Itches could be. :)

    ReplyDelete