Saturday, March 12, 2011

writing stamina

I'm reading a book about teaching writing (In Pictures and In Words by Katie Wood Ray), including a chapter on stamina. Writers need stamina, she says, and I agree. She discusses the curriculum of time and tells how, when she's writing, she's very aware of time. She says, "the curriculum of time is fairly simple: Sit. Stay. Put something on paper." Even though she's aware of how much time it's taking and other things she could be doing. So, I'm in my office, on a Saturday, doing everything I can think of to avoid writing. I'm sitting. I'm staying. I can't leave until the letters of recommendation are done. Former students need them on Monday before they attend the job fair. I will put something on paper.

It's hard.

5 comments:

  1. It is not always fun but what I enjoy about this challenge is that I get to work and develop strong writing muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of Jane Yolen, who says she is so productive because of BIC (butt in chair). That will build stamina. I think it's the thinking before writing that's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is comforting to know that even you still engage in avoidance techniques. That helps assuage some of my guilt over some of my behavior this semester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Julie. There's a paper I'm avoiding for another class. It's nice to imagine my professors go through the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Avoidance. It's too bad avoidance isn't one of the top qualities on job applications. . . many of us would be in a good place :)

    ReplyDelete